Sunday, 12 July 2026

Why I Stopped Trying to Look Good

Cheap doesnt mean worse it means freedom
 When I was young, I may have wanted to look good because I never had anything. When you grow up with very little, you chase the image first: the nice car, the branded phone, the holiday that proves you’re “doing alright now.” It’s not vanity, it’s recovery. It’s trying to feel equal.

But even then, I realised it was pointless.

Looking good is expensive. Being secure is priceless.

I watched people take out £500‑a‑month PCP car contracts, £60 phone contracts, £3,000 holidays,( I did too for a while)
and then say they “can’t afford a house.” They were literally paying mortgage money every month just to impress strangers.

We didn’t do any of that.

We didn’t have flash holidays. We didn’t have flash phones. We didn’t have flash cars. We didn’t chase status.

We realised cheaper doesn't mean worse; it means Freedom.

We struggled for a while, but we struggled in the right direction. We put our money into stability, not appearance.

In 2016, I ditched a PCP and bought a Ford ST170 for £900. I drove it for seven years, put 30,000 miles on it, and sold it for £200. The whole car cost me £700 over seven years, about £8 a month. Meanwhile, people were paying £300–£600 a month for cars they didn’t even own.

Same with phones. My last EE contract cost me £60 a month with a Samsung. Now I buy my Xiaomi outright for £200 and use Spusu, 70GB for £8. Same masts, same speeds, same coverage. The difference is I’m not paying for branding.

And because we didn’t waste money on looking good, something rare happened.

We became mortgage‑free. We became debt‑free. We became semi‑retired before 60.

Not because we earned more than anyone else. Not because we were lucky. But because we didn’t burn our future trying to look impressive.

We chose stability over image. We chose freedom over debt. We chose real life over the illusion of success.

And now, years later, I’m glad I realised early that looking good is pointless, because being secure feels better than any car, phone, or holiday ever could.

Freedom Isn’t Flash — It’s Quiet Joy

Our joy isn’t in flash holidays or expensive cars. It’s in the dogs and walking in the country, the simple things that remind us what life is really about. We worked hard, we struggled, we learned, and now we’re free. Cheap doesn’t mean worse. It means freedom, and freedom feels like a walk in the countryside with the dogs.

A closing Note. You can do it too. Even sooner than us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Last Generation Who Will Write by Hand

Why handwriting is quietly disappearing and why only private schools will keep it alive There’s a strange moment happening in British educat...